I just want to share a few brief stories about how amazing the Don Mills ward is with missionary work.
This week we were trying to find a member that would be able to be a good friend to one of our investigators. We tried several different people but nobody seemed to have time for that day. Sister Wilson, following the spirit, decided to call a returning member who recently got the Aaronic priesthood for the first time in his 30 years of membership just about a month ago. He accepted and came to teach H with us. We taught about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and resolved concerns that he had about baptism. The member did a good job at sharing testimony with him but we mainly taught the lesson. Then at the very end H told us about his life back in Africa and then L the member told him that he can relate to that. Immediately they started to talk and Sister Wilson and I couldn't help but smile and watch these two men sympathize with one another. We ended the lesson and as we were leaving the member, looking at us almost for approval, asked H if he would like a tour of the chapel. H agreed and they started on a chapel tour. Thirty minutes later we were at the church again looking for something and we see them talking and walking around the church. :)
Then two days later with H again another faithful priesthood holder came and taught with us about prayer. He shared a solid testimony and example about prayer and for the first time prayed to our Father in Heaven. After the lesson H thanked us for the lesson and told us that he felt so much strength. The member then asked if he would like to stay and chat. The member pulled out his Book of Mormon and started reading with H. They left the chapel an hour and a half later.
H came to church this Sunday for the first time and was greeted with two friends waiting to help him on his journey to accept Christ. They laughed, smiled and shook hands as they talked about the spirit they felt. Mean while Sister Wilson and I are trying with little success to set up an appointment with H. They were enjoying each others company so much that we could hardly say a word. Finally the member suggested all three of us come for dinner. We were very grateful for those members. They fulfilled the scripture in Moroni 6:5-6.
The savior helped people understand doctrine by parables, and similar to a parable is a personal story. Both help us understand the principles and doctrines being taught. I wanted to share a quick story about the power of examples in teaching and testifying. This week we were teaching R about the Word of Wisdom. When he was found he was found smoking. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't nervous to teach him this lesson. I was with Sister Deng who is a Mandarin speaking missionary for this lesson. After teaching about this commandment we asked him if he had any questions. He said he didn't but said, "I didn't know coffee and tea was part of this." Sister Deng had just been sharing with me an example that she had six years ago before she joined the church, and she shared the same story with R. She talked about her love for bubble tea but how it always made her feel a little funny. Not to long before she met the missionaries she was having trouble breathing and went to the doctor to try and resolve the problem. They had no explanation and no cure for her pain. But when she met the missionaries and was taught the Word of Wisdom she found a cure. Since she was baptized she has not had any problems with her heart and she has not had any desire to drink bubble tea. While she was sharing this experience was fixated on her. And while she told that story he felt the spirit which allowed him to accept the invitation to begin that day to live the Word of Wisdom. I am so grateful for Sister Deng and her faithfulness. And I am grateful for the Savior who allows us to be cleansed and freed from sin, always resulting in a better life.
I love you all. I am excited to talk to my family this week. I hope you all enjoy your week. If any of you see my mom give her a big hug!
No comments:
Post a Comment