Monday, September 7, 2015

Trio, People We Teach, Families, Prayers.

Well this is exciting news! I have been on my mission for four transfers and I have had seven companions!! Saturday night after Sister B and I had planned for the next day, we got a call from President Clayton! Anytime we get a call from the mission president we know that he called for a specific purpose but he loves to small talk before. So after we talked about the weather and about our day he told us that we would be picking up our new companion Sister O in Hamilton the following day! I feel so blessed to have had so many companions! Heavenly Father must know that I love to learn, that is why he continues to send me PHENOMENAL companions. Sister O is from Alpine, Utah. She is majoring in music at BYU, lets just say our singing in the morning has gotten a little bit better. :) She has been on her mission for 4 1/2 months at the end of this  transfer. I love her! She is so outgoing and loved the cookie dough Sister B and I made yesterday which automatically made me love her. She will be serving with us in St. Catharines for the next week until transfers! Keep our trio in your prayers! 

A couple weeks ago Daddy in his email talked about having our scriptures be our friends. Well, one of my best friends is in D&C 82:14. That scripture is what the CTM is basing our mission vision off of! Sister B and I were blessed to teach 34 lessons this last week! I am so grateful for all of the people living here in Ontario. 

R and C: Wow, when we first started meeting with these two they just wanted to tell us that we were wrong and that The Book of Mormon was not the word of God. Sister B and I continued to pray to Heavenly Father if we should continue to meet with them. Sometimes it was soo hard because we "knew" that they would never listen to anything that we were saying. One day Sister B and I went to go teach them a lesson, and we were actually going to tell them that we were going to dis-continue our meetings with them. As we were praying, we felt inspired to tell them that we have a series of lessons that we teach people about what we believe in. We told them that while we teach people these lessons we invite them to pray, read The Book of Mormon, come to church, and to be baptized as Jesus Christ was. Shortly after we told them all of this they told us that they would LOVE to continue to meet and that they would be baptized if they knew that this was true. We made sure that we studied out the Restoration from both the Bible and The Book of Mormon. The morning of our lesson with them I was praying after my personal study. I told Heavenly Father that I had done all that I could and that I trusted that he would make up the rest for me. I asked to be able to remember the scriptures I read and I closed my prayer. As we taught them we were able to pull out scriptures from the Bible and The Book of Mormon. Some of the scriptures we read were from studies weeks ago! I am so grateful to be a missionary for our Savior. Without him I wouldn't have anything to teach people about. I wouldn't be able to bring hope to people. I am grateful for the Holy Ghost and the promise that I have from Heavenly Father, "For it shall be given to you in the very hour, yea, in the very moment, what ye shall say." (D&C 100:6) It was such a pleasant lesson and the message was received so well that they invited us over for Thanksgiving dinner. :) 

Other Investigators: Well, this has been a wonderful week! We were able to teach all of our other investigators! Two of them called us deceivers! K is doing good! We set a new baptismal date with him! He is such an incredible person. D and M and their daughters A and E are so awesome! I just love all of the people we are meeting with. 

Other People we are working with: We are working with so many Returning Members! That is awesome! Some of them have dates set for them to receive their next saving ordinance! A cool story about a RM of ours. We met with C this last week and set a date for him to receive the priesthood. He was so hesitant and told us that he did not trust himself. We continued to encourage him and then we ended our lesson with him committed to his date. After we left our WML, who was at the lesson, talked with him. He told him that everyone in the ward is supporting him and that he can do it. The next day after Sacrament meeting he came up to us SOOO HAPPY and told us that he felt really good about his date. He told us that he had started to do things a little differently. :) We are so excited for him to receive the priesthood, because after that he can go to the temple for baptisms for the dead and then he will work his way up to his endowment and sealing to his family. The Gospel is a beautiful thing. 

Families sealed in the temple is what missionary work is about. Baptism is just a step towards that ultimate Earthly Goal of the Sealing. Families sealed for eternity to each other opens the gate for us to live in glory and never ending happiness with our Father in Heaven. The Gospel is real. I know that God lives. I know that he loves you. I know that Joseph Smith saw him and our savior in the sacred grove. I know The Book of Mormon is the word of God. I know that Thomas S. Monson is our prophet today and that he receives revelation from our Father. I know that each of us can receive revelation from our Father. 

Something that I found very interesting this morning while I was studying about prayer was the attitude of prayer. I know that there are mornings when I wake up and I just roll onto my stomach and sorta kind of kneel. Then in my prayer I don't really remember anything because I am still waking up. THIS IS NOT THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE! Jesus Christ  is the perfect example of how we should offer our prayer. A time when his attitude of prayer is recorded in the Bible is while he is in the Garden of Gethsemane. (Luke 22:41) Jesus Christ was perfect and when he was suffering for our sins he knelt down and prayed to the Father. So likewise, when we are struggling whether it is overcoming sin, temptation, heart ache, or any struggle we may face. We need to kneel down and offer a prayer to our Father. In Joseph Smith-History 1:15 After I had retired to the place where I had previously designed to go, having looked around me, and finding myself alone, I kneeled down... When we need knowledge we need to kneel and pray. Enos is also an amazing example, And my soul hungered, and I kneeled down before my maker.` All of these people I shared had amazing experience with prayer. Jesus took upon himself the sins of the world, Joseph saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, Enos`sins were forgiven him. The attitude we have in our prayers shows our Heavenly Father that we love him. And that we have faith that he can do all things. I pray that each of us will become more mindful of the attitude of our prayers. 

I love you!
-- 
Sister Chelson 

No comments:

Post a Comment