Monday, June 8, 2015

Street Fest, Carolling in June, I've been converted, People are funny.

Milton is the place to be! This last week was amazing. :)


This last Saturday, Milton was the place to be! There was this HUGE street fest going on on Main St. There were so many people I felt like I was in Disneyland. Our Zone was challenged to bear our testimony about the Sabbath Day to everyone we met, and invite them to come to church with us! And Heavenly Father must have known that Milton needed to come to church because he threw a street fest on the very day. :) Sister Dayton, a young woman in our ward, and I passed out over 100 mormon.org cards within an hour. It was amazing! We even saw some of our members there who got a kick out of our clever idea. :) 





My companion Sister Dayton is such a genius. She came up with the idea that we should go carolling in June. But instead of singing Christmas songs, we would sing Hymns. We chose the Hymn "How Great Thou Art", and started knocking on every door. We went down the ENTIRE street and nobody would let us sing for them! So, we went down the other street, and again NOBODY would let us sing for them. We got to the  end of the road and we had three doors left to knock on. We knocked on a door and this really cute older lady answered the door. She let us sing for her! As we sang she closed her eyes and smiled. After we sang we explained our role as missionaries and what we were doing. We talked about God and his love for all of his children. She loved it! Joan, just like the rest of Milton, is Catholic. But, she was excited to invite us back over to her home to teach her more about the Restoration. The next day we went back to her house with a young woman in our ward. The young woman, Kayla, shared so many amazing insights! Joan fell in love with her and was laughing and joking with her. We shared the experience Joseph Smith had the spirit was so strong. I don't think that I have ever felt it as strongly as I did on that day. She told us she would read and pray about the Book of Mormon. IT was such a spiritual lesson. It really made me think back to the time that I found out for myself that Joseph Smith was a prophet. I think I was ten? We had a fireside on his life. Just before my mission I read the journal entry  I wrote on how  I felt! I know that Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon. I can promise you all that you can know that Joseph Smith is a prophet and that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the only true church on earth today. The way you can do this is by reading the Book of Mormon and praying about it. I am SO GLAD Sister Dayton is worthy to receive revelation and that Heavenly Father trusts her enough to send us to that door. 


(Emily's skirt got caught in her tire)

As we were going to the Street  Fest on Saturday, we started talking to this guy on the street. He was the most enthusiastic man I have EVER met in my life. He had met with missionaries before while he lived in Vancouver. We started talking more about his experiences and asked him if he had ever read the Book of Mormon. He said he had. Surprised, we asked him if he had liked it. He said, "And it came to pass...And it came to pass... No I didn't like it at all. It was horrible." My heart ached for this man. He invited us to come back over to his house and teach him more about our church however. The next day Sister Dayton and I, and a member from our ward went to his house and started talking about the Book of Mormon. After about ten minutes of him letting us talk he started to tell us that he wanted proof from the bible. He then started spouting out passages from the bible. Finally the man we were with, who is an RM, said. "You are never going to know that it is true unless you let go of your pride and you ask god." David continued to spout scriptures at us. But through all of this tension.  I have never felt more peaceful in my life. My testimony of the bible and of the Book of Mormon being the word of God grew. They both speak of Christ and his gospel. It is interesting how when people are trying to rip our religion apart and tell us all of the things that are wrong about it, we learn more. So David succeed in his quest to convert me. I have been converted even more to be a member of Gods church. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I pray that we all will each day become more converted to wonderful religion. 

I want you all to think about two people. The Grinch, and Jimmy Fallon. What do they both have in common? Sister  Dayton asks like both of them. :) This last transfer I have not stopped laughing. We literally have so much fun. But this paragraph  I wanted to talk about some funny comments that have been made this week. 

1. "Can we take a bath?" -Sister Chelson ("We" language has gone too far. And I am so happy nobody was outside to hear me say that.)
2. "Can I offer you Vodka? a Beer? Cofee? Tea?" -Luca (our invetigator). He is going to LOVE THE Word of Wisdom
3. "I can't take your card, I don't have pockets." -random muslim man on street. (WWHHYY NOT?? ITS TRUE) 
4. "Where does it say that in the bible?" -Every Catholic we met. 
5."I know all about your religion, you believe you go to another planet after you die." -Priest from another church (so close, so close) 

I love you all, I want to apologize for this letter it is a little spacy. :( I pray for each of you each day. Some one go to Chik-fli-a this week for me :) I don't know if this is being sent out to our extended family. I hope it is! 

Sister Chelson

No comments:

Post a Comment